Sunday, September 6, 2015

Philippians 3:12-13 "Not that I have already obtained all of this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining for what is ahead."
I am not a runner, so when I do run its sometimes really tempting to quit, especially while trying to go maybe a little faster or a little longer than before. I feel the pain and i look around and see the distance I have yet to cover. And I have quit before, I've decided, 'OK no more I'm walking, this isn't worth this moment's pain.' But at the end I hate myself for quitting. On the contrary, when I push myself super hard til the very end, even though I might feel like I'm about to pass out, I feel accomplished.

I love these verses because in the race of life, quitting, easing up, settling is at times a tempting option. Looking around and seeing the serious pain that it took only to make a little progress can quickly discourage. But that is because I start looking around. That is where I need to take my eyes off of the situation and the pain and on to Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. Is is about a matter of focus which gives me the strength to press on. 'Press on' tells me 'yeah you feel tired, you feel stuck, you feel like you cant, ok, just put one foot in front of the other, just move forward.' 'Press on' acknowledges the difficulties, but does allow just sitting in them.

"I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." "I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." (Ephesians 4:1) "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." (Ephesians 1:4) "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10)

"When Esther's words were reported back to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: 'Do not think that because you are in the king's house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to and royal position for such a time as this?'" (Esther 4:12-14)

Like Esther I have been called to such a time as this, only this time does not need me and if I choose not to grasp it, the Lord's purposes will still be accomplished but it will very much be to my loss. I want to take hold of the purpose for which Christ took hold of me. I have not yet obtained but still I must press on. How can I take hold of my purpose? For starters, it's taking hold of the day, seeking Christ, living it to its fullest and finding joy in putting all my heart in what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment