Sunday, September 27, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:22b-23 "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that i may share in its blessings."

This is humility and love in one of its purest forms. Sacraficing ones identity and selfish thoughts for the sake of the gospel. It wasn't enough for Paul to come walking in and claim everything that he did without stooping low to understand. He sacraficed identity and self interest to be able to relate to any person.

I have a friend who had been dealing with a difficult situation in her life, and as I looked on the situation from the outside, I saw how I thought it should be done better. I was quick to pass judgement, and become frustrated with her choices. I was not afraid to tell her what I thought and would give my opinion whether or not it was asked for. What I lacked most of all was compassion. To often I would speak rather than listen and give my opinion rather than try to understand. If I would've always had her best interest in mind I would've stopped talking and started listening because I would've known that she didn't always need another opinion, sometimes all she needed has someone to listen who actually cared, and to often I caused hurt by speaking without trying to understand.

Whether I am entering a new culture or relating to a fellow American, I must listen to truly understand them and how they think to be of any effect in their life. If I come and tell them everything I think and know without truly stopping to listen and to understand their life, I will shut them out. They will see my motives, that i lack compassion and do not truly care for their best interest. Speaking without first listening is dangerous. Words have power to build and to tear down and trying to build without knowing without understanding what you are build is sure to create chaos. Listening just to speak is selfish, but listening to understand allows me to relate on the deepest level.

As I enter a new culture I must bear this in mind and be intentional about observing the culture around me to be able to understand why they are who they are and be willing to sacrafice identity and comfort to relate to their culture. This is exactly what Christ did for me. He became a man, related to my sufferings, died as a perfect sacrafice and is now an intercessor on my behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment