Saturday, September 12, 2015

Acts 2:44 "All the beleivers were together and had everything in common."

It was not about the individual gain, but the common good. They did not count anything their own. One body, one purpose.

Ephesians 4:3-5 says, "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit---- just as you were called to one hope when you were called---- one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

They shared one body, they shared one Spirit and one Lord. They shared one hope. They shared one faith and one baptism. They shared one God. They had everything in common. No more was it about the individual's edification, but it was about the edification of the body. It was not about exalting oneself higher than another, but it was about looking out for the common good of all.

They had a common goal. That goal was to make disciples of all the nations. As a unit they moved toward this goal. A unit does not allow for one part to only look out for himself, no it is a constant in-pour out-pour system. As one part in-pours to fulfill need, another part is out-pouring to fulfill the need of the first part. In this way, one part of the body, does it need to look out only for himself because he has all the other parts looking out for it.

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." (Proverbs 11:24-25).

It's amazing how much identity I can find in mere things such as my possesions. But as a part of the body of Christ, just as I am not my own, neither are my possesions. Since being in Guatemala, the Lord has taught me that I need to stop clinging to my possesions so tightly. Once he asked me to give up something that I owned, so I did but I almost cried as I felt like my identity was being stripped away. It was all very selfish. But through that he was shown me more how I need to hold my possesions lightly and with an open hand.

In application I want to look for opportunities to refresh others with my things.

No comments:

Post a Comment