Sunday, September 27, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:22a "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak."
Paul writes in the chapter before, "Be careful, however, that the excercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak." (1 Corinthians 8:9) Paul knew in his mind that he had the liberty to eat whatever food he desired whether it had been sacraficed to an idol previously or not. He knew that, "...an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one." (1 Corinthians 8:4) Because of this knowledge, Paul reasoned that it did not matter if the food he eat had previously been sacraficed to idols or not.

But on the other hand, Paul knew that there were beleivers with a weaker conscience, ones who were "still so accustomed to idols" (1 Corinthians 8:7) that it convicted their conscience to eat that kind of food. Paul knew that if he excercised his freedom in this way in front of those with a weaker conscience, he would cause them to stumble. And because of the weak conscience of another beleivers, Paul, although he did not compromise his own liberty, was  sensitive to the conviction of others. He desired to "...put up with everything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ." (1 Corinthians 9:12).

It is important that I am sensitive to the beliefs and convictions of others. An improper use of the liberty that I have in Christ could ruin my testimony for another. Paul said "...Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." (1 Corinthians 8:1) I must not become prideful because of the liberty I know I have in Christ nor must i flaunt it or look down on others who may be weaker but instead, out of love, seek to respect my brother's convictions and build him up. Again Paul said, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible." (1 Corinthians 9:19).

This verse reinforces the importance of disregarding myself, even the liberty I have in Christ, to promote the gospel in the life of another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment