Saturday, September 19, 2015

Luke 17:8 "Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'?"

The servant thinks only of his master's will. All day he has been in the fields laboring, working hard. His muscles are tired, sweat drips off of his brow. It is almost dinner time and he feels the pangs of hunger. If it were me, I would grab some already prepared food, and make myself comfortable on the couch for a while. I worked hard so I deserve it right?
But that is not what this servant does. The concerns of the master are his first and foremost interest. After a hard day in the fields he does not consider it his right to quit and take a break but faithfully and dutifully does as the master requests. He is always ready at the master's request to do the master's will.

The analogy of the worm in the book "Calvary Road" (by Roy Hession) comes to mind. A snake will hiss and rear it's head, demanding compliance. But a worm does not resist to whatever may happen to it, whether it's trampled or poked, it is not like the snake who resists and strikes to what it is displeased with. I need to be a worm at the feet of Jesus, in full compliance of whatever he asks of me or does in me. A true disciple of Jesus will deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Christ. Firstly, I must deny myself. In denying myself, I must act as though myself does not even exist. As a servant and follower of the Lord, there is no room for selfishness if I am to be wholeheartedly devoted to his commands. I must be like this servant who faithfully toiled all day and then came once more before his master to do his will. This servant did not protest to what was being asked of him despite his own desires.

It is so difficult to deny my own desires. But this servant did. He acted like his own hunger and weariness did not exist as he faithfully served his master. In serving my master, I must do the same. It is surrendering my fleshly desires for his lasting fulfillment as Psalm 63:3 says, "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you." And Luke 9:24, "For whoever wants to save his life will loose it, but whoever looses his life for me will save it."


No comments:

Post a Comment