Saturday, September 19, 2015

Luke 17:9 "Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do?"
Thankyou implies I recognize that you did that and I appreciate it. If I do something, perhaps something that I didn't have to do but did anyway, I expect at least for the recipient to say thankyou and if I don't get that word of recognition, I may perhaps feel a little bit slighted because they didn't recognize or appreciate me or my efforts.

But this not what the servant in this passage expects. He does not even expect to be thanked. He does not selfishly demand recognition for the long hours he has faithfully worked in the field or for serving dinner at the end of the day even after long hours of work. He does not demand this recognition, He is not owed a thankyou, and he accepts that as he continues to serve his master.

Often I crave recognition when I serve. To often I serve to be seen. I selfishly look for some way to somehow build up myself even through acts of service. Even when doing this seemingly selfless acts of serving, I am still looking for ways to satisfy my selfishness. But as a servant of Christ this recognition should not be my drive. I am nothing and am owed nothing, not even a thankyou. I have already been blessed immeasurably, I should be the one thanking God. In fact, my service should be like a thank offering to God. It should be like, 'God you did this for me so out of gratitude I am going to do this for you.' I would not be expecting even a thank you in return for that would I? No because it is my reasonable service as Romans 12:1 says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrafices, holy and pleasing to God----this is your spiritual act of worship."

I want his love to be my drive so that I live my life as an offering of thanks for all he has done for me. I want to grasp how  In application I will write out verses reminding me of his love that I can carry with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment