Saturday, September 19, 2015

Luke 17:7 "Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he  say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat?."

As servants we have no rights neither are we entitled to anything. Romans 12:1 says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrafices, holy and pleasing to God----this is your spiritual act of worship." It is by God's mercy that we are servants at all. Offering our lives in their entirety to be used by God is what is reasonable, what is duly expected. To do otherwise would be to diminish the impact of the cross on our lives.

The servant went to the fields, plowing, watching sheep or whatever was asked of him. He did not do it to try to gain for himself personal pleasures, he did not work hard because he thought he would get a better reward or more favor from the master, no he did it because it was his reasonable duty as a servant.

We are servants of Christ and slaves to righteousness. It is by the mercy of God that we are allowed this priveldge at all. I used to be a slave to sin, in chains to the yoke of sin, but the Lord has called me out of that so "that I might belong to another." (Romans 7:4). But the yoke of Christ is not like the yoke of sin. Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).

In view of the mercies of God, my reasonable act of service is to offer all that I am to be used by him. Not serve him in hopes of winning more of his love-- he already loves me unconditionally. Not serve him in hopes if gaining for myself selfish pleasures, but out of a deep and humble appreciation for the cross.

1 John 4:19 says, "We love because he first loved us." Such as realizatiom will compel love for him because of who he is and what he has done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment