Sunday, September 27, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:26-27 "Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

Because of the reward, because of eternity Paul does not run without purpose. He is not as one who beats the air, because what is the point of beating the air, it doesn't move or anything. He knows his goal and beats his body, putting it under pain and discipline so that he is in control of it, so that he will qualify for the prize.

A man who runs in a race aimlessly will not subject himself to strict discipline. He may know of the crown that could be gained, but it may seem unfeasible, not worth putting in the effort for. Why does he even bother running then? I suppose that he is just in for the ride, only wants to be a part of the action but not committed enough to run purposely, in pursuit of the gold. He doesn't even dare hope for it, and will never attain the joy that comes in attaining the prize.

Am I in it just to get in on the action or in it to win the prize? Too often I find myself in that trap. Running aimlessly, just in it for the action, along for the ride. Not committed enough to go for the gold, it's not feasible, it's far out of my reach. Even if I might he able to win the prize, it would take way to much effort. Only running to be a part of what's going on, wouldn't want to miss out on anything exciting you know?

When I run like that, half hearted, uncommitted, without purpose, I am totally missing out. Sure, running for the prize means sacrafice, but the reward is so great. Why do I choose to live my faith in this small way, afraid of sacrafice, of putting in too much effort, thinking that the prize is hardly attainable, not worth trying for? I am missing out. No, like Paul, I must beat my body and make it my slave so that I will be qualified to win the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment