Sunday, September 27, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:25 "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."

Those athletes do not take their training lightly. They make their bodies their slaves. They sacrafice physical comfort, time, energy, certain foods--- no sacrafice is to great--- all for the sake of competing to win the prize. It is their focus, their aim. Their life and daily routine are all centered around this one goal. They put themselves through the pain and perseverance of training because they have a larger aim in mind. These athletes were willing to sacrafice all such comfort in light of the hope of winning the prize.

All that the athlete could gain in running this race is a crown. A moment of glory. Recognition that will probably die before he does. This is his hope. And even though it is finite, it is worth it to him to put his whole heart, soul, mind, and strength into it. But what is my hope? A reward that will last forever. The Savior welcoming me into heaven saying "Well done." Eternal gain. The pain is great but the reward is greater. If this athlete can put all that he is in hope of the possibility of receiving a reward that is temporary, why do I hesitate to put all that I am into gaining a greater reward than this.

Matthew 6:19-21 says, " Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thrives break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Our life here is but a breath. One day I really will stand before God to account for what I have done. One day I really will meet Jesus as I enter into heaven. He has promised in Revelation 22:12, "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give everyone according to what he has done." One day I really will be in his presence, worshipping him forever with all people, ever, who have trusted in Christ for salvation.

The athlete's hope is earthly gain, that will not last, that will never satisfy. I have been called to something greater for this life and the next. In application I will begin reading the book of Revelation to remind me of the things that are to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment