Saturday, September 19, 2015

Luke 17:10 "So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants, we have only done our duty.'"
Unworthy. Unworthy is a difficult concept. I like to think that I am worthy. I look for things in me that I can bring before God so I feel at least a little deserving of his grace. I look at the law and what it has to offer. If I can measure up to the law then I will be worthy. But as I try the law condemns me time and time again. The weight of its demands is heavy on my back and I try in my own feeble strength to meet its harsh and strict demands. But i cant and fall time and time again into dispair. As I try, in my own power to be worthy, I miss out on the God of love. I miss out on grace.

Because grace, it is also a difficult concept. Because i am so undeserving. When i try to be worthy of it, it pollutes what it is. But when I finally come to the place of realizing that I cant, realizing that I have nothing and am unworthy of what he has to offer, that is when I will see grace in all its beauty and the God of love for who he is. Not as a strict master, ready to condemn, but as a gracious Savior who went to the cross, not to put heavy demands of the law on my shoulders but to set me free.

As a servant, if I served with the motivation of receiving a reward when I am finished or out of the desire to be thanked and recognized, it would imply that i am worthy of something and deserve something for my work. But in realizing that I am an unworthy servant, yet I receive grace upon grace for nothing I have done, my service will become wholehearted thank offerings lifted up to the Lord.

This week the Lord is graciously showing me grace, that I am unworthy of his love yet he extends it anyway. "For from his fullness we have all received grace upon grace." (John 1:16). I will spend time writing about the grace he has shown me this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment