Friday, August 7, 2015

Luke 8:15 "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

This soil was differant. It did not harden it's heart to the Word, but received and understood it. It did not keep rocks that hindered it from growing roots and receiving nourishment. It did not let distractions choke out the truth. Instead, it persevered and "yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown" (Luke 8:8).

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

Perseverance is everything. Continuing. Putting one foot in front of the other. Consistency. Faithfulness. The way is tedious and difficult. It is easy to quit because it doesn't necessarily take one big task but lots of little things, day after day that may seem trite and unimportant, but when all of these instances and growths add up, the result is nothing that could ever have happened all at once. It is only the result of little steps, one after another.

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." (Psalm 126:5-6).

A harvest is promised and that is the beautiful thing. I can know that what I sow will not be in vain. As we sow seeds of discipine, dying to self, investing in the lives of others, sharing the gospel, absorbing the mind in scripture, prayer, we can know that through perseverance, continuing to put one foot in front of the other, there will be a harvest.

This promise of a harvest gives me motivation for being here. This is a time to persevere, prepare myself, grow in Christ. Sometimes it may seem tedious and mundane, but I am promised and harvest if I do not give up. I am reminded of Jesus' parable in Matthew 25 of the talents where he commends the servant, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things." It reminds me that I should not look at the day like just another day, but invest in the day even though it is hard, and focus on the harvest to be gained, instead of the fleeting pleasures of the day.

My goal for practically applying this is to advantage more of my morning devotion and on the mount time, not just to do it to get it done, but to invest in it and seek the Lord. Also my goal is to invest more in my team, in ways such as asking them how their day is going, asking how I can pray for them, or keep them accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment