Friday, August 7, 2015

Luke 8:14 "The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature."

This is the ground that hears and receives the seeds. They even begin to grow. But the seeds of the Word are not the only things growing on that soil. Worries of life, selfish pleasures, "deceitfulness of wealth" (Matt 13:22) these are thorns that are growing up with the plant. At first they are small and insignificant. They give the plant plenty of room to grow and become rooted and receive nourishment. But the plants cannot mature. Because as the plants grow, the thorns grow with it. Eventually the thorns become a threat, the plants and weeds cannot coexist. And since the thorns remain, the plant suffocates and does not mature.

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money" (Matt 6:24).

Both of these passages show the danger of a divided heart. When lies and distractions and selfishness grow in my heart they threaten to choke out the truth. Hebrews 12:1-2 says "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus..."

The plants in the parable could not mature and bear fruit because of the weeds choking them out. Likewise if I am to mature into a person that bears fruit to bless others I cannot allow weeds to grow in my heart.

Yet so many things vie for my attention daily. My self seeks to show itself in all its ugliness, threatening to choke out the truth, to mar my vision, to take away my focus. I am reminded of the passage in Matthew 6 where Jesus exorts, not to worry about the things of this life, but to "seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you as well." I must persevere by fixing my eyes on Jesus and being rid of the things that grow as weeds and so easily entangle. My application is to seek accountability from people that will help fix my eyes on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment