Friday, August 14, 2015

1 Timothy 6:9 "People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction."
"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?'..." (Proverbs 30:8-9).

The pursuit of money does that to us. We desire it to trust in it, it gives security. At least it promises that it will. In trusting in money, I have no reason to trust in God to provide my needs. I can do whatever I want, I can have whatever I want. I. This is all about my desires. Money is the resource to fulfill every materialistic desire. That is why those who seek wealth are doomed to fall into many other harmful things as well.

The biggest lure for me personally for money is its promise of security and freedom. I think that if I have enough, I will be able to do whatever I want, i will be able to have whatever i want and I will never have to worry about finding the resources.

Wealth doesn't give security, only a desire for more. Ecclesiastes 5:10 says, "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." It is a trap, whoever falls for desiring wealth, puts himself in this never ending cycle of never having enough, always striving for more. Striving for wealth is not really striving for the wealth itself, but something else. It is really striving for something to replace the fulfillment and security that only God is able to provide. It seeks to replace God. And that is why there is always the desire for more, because it absolutely does not fill.

That is why Matthew 6:24 clearly says, "You cannot serve both God and money."

To serve, is to humble oneself before another, do as commanded, give yourself in submission at whatever the cost. Romans 6:16, "Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey..."

Submitting myself to the pursuit of money and it's promise of freedom and security is serving money, taking my trust off of God and the freedom that trust in his will brings.

I do not need to chase money to find security and freedom. The Lord is fully trustworthy to provide the things, not necessarily what I want, but what he wants me to have. He will provide the means that will give me the freedom to do, not necessarily whatever my flesh desires to do, but what he wants me to do.

For application I will make a list of some of the things that I don't have which I believe the lie that if I do have I will be happy, and bring these before the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment