Friday, August 14, 2015

1 Timothy 6:7 "For we brought nothing into this world, and we can take nothing out of it."

This verse just emphasizes how temporary it all is. When I leave this world, what will I have left?

The Lord has been showing me alot today just how much identity I have placed in things other than him. Whether it be possesions, relationships, image, abilities, experiences or approval, these are all things that I take pride in, things that I cling to so tightly, things that I would struggle with if they should be stripped away. All of these are things that God has given me, nothing that I conjured up on my own strength. I am called to use these gifts to build God's kingdom. Their value is temporary yes, I didn't bring them into this world and I will not take them out, but their effects are lasting. They, although temporary in and of themselves, are to be used to make treasures that last forever.

Yet, instead I use these gifts of the Lord for selfish gain. I wrap my identity in these things, 'This is who I am, this is what I have.' I consider that it was I who gave myself these and decide that because of them I have worth. And if they are stripped away, I feel that apart of me has been stripped away. And if I am discontent with what I have, I even loose my feeling of self worth. I think as though who I am is based on what I have.

When I place identity and self worth in who I am and what I have, I am not giving glory to God who has given me these things. I am not emptying myself of all that is me and filling myself of all that is his. I am taking my identity, that i am a child of God because of the blood of Christ, and living like it is not enough.

Who am I in Christ? First of all I have nothing before him and my righteousness without Christ is as filthy rags. I really have nothing to offer. But I have been chosen, accepted and adopted as a daughter of the Father, loved with out condition, died for, given an inheritance, justified before God, set free from the power of sin, made victorious, sacrificed for, bought with a price, redeemed, sought after, sanctified, not given up on, given grace upon grace. None of this is something I deserved, all of it is what Christ did.

I am not home yet. The things to gain in this world will not last. Will I cling to them and use them selfishly or will I hold them loosely, using them to gain eternally?

I have so much in Christ to cling to. My identity in Christ can never be stripped away. I have been given gifts, not to cling to for myself, but to use to make eternal treasures. I will make a list of things that I have been looking to to find self worth and will bring them before the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment