Friday, August 21, 2015

John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

Humans were in a state of hopelessness. They failed. Their choices separated them from God and brought the world into bondage to sin. Our sinful nature put a gap between us and God in his holiness and perfection that we could never try to cross on our own. God came to us. "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son..." (John 3:16)

I was dead in my transgressions and sins (Ephesians 2:1), I was shrouded in darkness, enslaved to sin, apart from God. I could never make myself alive by any power that i have, because, being dead, i had none. But God came to me. "But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in mercy, made us alive in Christ even when we were dead in transgressions..." (Ephesians 2:4-5)

In this passage in John, we see again, man in a helpless position---Jesus, who had just completed this great redemptive work in the history of man, and who would leave the disciples with an enormous mission---to reach every tribe, tongue, people, and nation with this good news, was about to leave the earth. But he promised that he would not leave them alone, he said, "I will come to you." Although not physically, the Holy Spirit would be sent to give them power to complete the mission at hand.

He does not leave us as orphans, left alone, without a Father, he does not look at our helpless state without compassion. He sent his Son to provide a way to be reconciled us to God and drew us out of that dominions of darkness, making us alive in Christ. Now he has sent his Spirit as our Counselor, guiding us into truth, giving us the power to complete the task at hand.

I haven't done anything to provide means to be reconciled to God, neither have done anything to be made alive in Christ. Likewise, I have no power to be "holy and blameless and in his sight" (Ephesians 1:4) which is what I have been chosen for, neither do I have the power to spread the love of God or the gospel. No, he has come and has given me power. He has not meant for me to accomplish this things on my own. James 4:2 says "...You do not have, because you do not ask God." Today i desire to rely more on the Spirit's power but asking him in specific ways for strength for the day instead of going through the day on my own power.

No comments:

Post a Comment