Friday, August 14, 2015

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

"If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain." (1 Timothy 6:3-5)

These men, who promoted false doctrines and reveled in disunity, sought "godliness" for their own selfish personal gain. They sought to gain for themselves. But this selfish striving only gained them misunderstanding, conceit, quarrels, envy, strife, evil suspicions, constant fricton, etc.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain."

We hold on to possessions so tightly and wrap up our identity and happiness in the stuff we possess. Part of the western mindset is finding so much meaning in worthless materials. We grasp it with a tight fist, thinking that possessions give us value, make us happy. We do not realize the extent of our dependance on them until we are asked to give them up. The men mentioned above did not gain anything satisfying with all of their meaningless striving. Striving for earthly gain, leaves a hole that becomes more empty the more it is filled.

If I clench my money and possessions in a tight fist, I am limiting the Lord's blessing on my life because my hand is closed, therefore I can neither give blessings or receive blessings. I must realize that the things I have are the Lord's already. There is joy in living with an open hand, not clutching tightly to things, but holding loosly. Willing to allow the things you have been blessed with to flow out therefore leaving room for blessings to flow in.

Grasping things is refusing to let God be all. Am I afraid of losing, afraid that I will not be given to too? "...The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." The words of Job (Job 1:21) remind me of what it is to live with an open hand. Job was stripped of everything so that God could fill him afresh.

 Contentment in all things. Choosing to find joy in every moment. Seeing the blessing. Thanking the Lord in every circumstance. This is realizing what I have. And I already have abundantly more than I could ever ask for or imagine. Paul was able to say, "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things." Paul lost all things, and he gained God. What is greater?

It's great gain because I realize what I already have, that i have it all. It's all gratitude. No more striving after selfish gain, the striving that causes envy strife and friction. Thr gain that leaves me in a prison as i cling to it, asking it to fill me. When my focus is in God, when my identity is in God, earthly things will be seen for their trite value. Earthly gain is not great gain because it only leaves me hungry for more.

The wish for more. It is consuming. I can waste my life away thinking about what I don't have, thinking about how if circumstances would be differant, I would be happy. I cannot let this wistful thinking deprive me of today. I have freedom from circumstances and worldy gain because of my eternal hope. Today i desire to spend more time giving thanks to God for the blessings around me. It is then that I will be more aware of what I have. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment