Friday, August 14, 2015

1 Timothy 6:8 "But if we have food and clothing we shall be content."
The idea of contentment to me implies happiness, satisfaction, giving freely, grasping what is around you, living in the present. It gives me the sense of not striving for more but resting, dwelling.

Psalm 37:3 says, " Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture." Dwell and enjoy. Just sit still, soak it up, and enjoy it.

In discontentment, my mind is occupied either with the past or the future, never the present. It is always striving for more, always longing for something better leaving me exhausted and miserable. Discontentment always shows me the things that I don't have and convinces me that I will be happy only when I have them. It does not let the mind rest but hurries by, it is always on the move, seeking but never finding.

Paul was able to say, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty of in want."

This is truly living with an open hand, being content with a lot of things and being content with little. Paul accepted it joyfully when the Lord gave him much and accepted it joyfully when the Lord gave him a little. It did not matter because his hope was in the Lord. Paul knew what it was like to have a little and be content, then when he had a lot he could still accept it with gratitude without wishing or striving for more.

Today I desire to rest in the Lord, to dwell and enjoy. I have been given much, let me be content with that. I want to live today with an open hand, giving thanks when the Lord gives and giving thanks when the Lord takes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment