Friday, October 2, 2015

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synoguogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

The ones who announce their good deeds, who seek glory for themselves, whose goal is the approval of man, these are called hypocrites. A hypocrite does one thing yet is another. I can't help but think of the godless and self seeking men described in the book of Jude: they are shepherds that don't feed the sheep, clouds that don't give rain, trees that don't bear fruit. They look like they are serving Christ but have nothing to show for it. And Jesus describes the Pharisees (Matthew 23) as hyprocties who are like blind guides, white washed tombs, and cups cleaned only on the outside.

And now I see more clearly why Paul says (Galatians 1:10) "...If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." I can look like I'm serving Christ to others but the Lord looks at my heart when I serve him and if I am only serving myself, this is not service to him at all no matter how it may look. And there is no reward for the hypocrite beyond the trite approval of man, the temporary confirmation of self.

This was a convicting verse. I did not see how much hypocrisy there was in looking for man's approval while I am serving God. I cant be looking for both. I cant be serving the Lord and on the side be hoping to gain approval and confirmation from man. Because it is totally a heart matter. And I see it so much in my life.

My application is to go before God in confession and ask him to purify my heart's motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment