Saturday, January 2, 2016

Psalms 37:7 "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently before him..."

I wish I could say I have this mastered. I wish I could tell you that this is an easy thing to live in. But no its not. When trusting and waiting before God only includes being still, sometimes I get antsy and give up on God and try to do it by myself. But over and over in the Bible, I see that waiting for the Lord to act is the only way.

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." (Psalms 40:1-2)

"but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31).

Many times we feel like it is up to us to give results, so we pursue and work relentlessly. We push and shove to make things happen even though it is obviously not working. We are tired. We settle for substitutes. We compare. We carry guilt that we are not doing enough. We try formulas to get what we need and do our best to do better. If only our best were good enough.
"For not in my how do I trust, nor can my sword save me. But you have saved us from our foes..." (Psalms 44:6-7)

Like I said, I really wish I had this mastered. But I too have been a victim of this "try harder, do better" methodology. I want to make it perfect. I want to pride myself in a job well done. Maybe I'm afraid to take that jump, because it means for a little, that i have to free fall and wait for God to catch me.

Waiting on God is trusting that he will fight your battles. It is resting before him because you know that he will come through on your behalf. It's not wearisome. It's not guilt inflicting. It doesn't leave us tired, discouraged, insecure people. Waiting is trusting. Like really, if I don't trust that the bus is going to come, I'm not going to stand their waiting for it.

What Psalms 37 tells us two verses later is that "those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land." Those are the ones who will go far places, soar on the heights, run hard without weariness, walk long without fainting. Those are the ones standing on a rock instead of sinking further into a miry bog. Teach me to wait on you Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment