Sunday, January 31, 2016

Hebrews 12:5-6 "...My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastised every son whom he receives."

Will I ever arrive? I will never be good enough. Weariness, shame and discouragement are too often my reaction when my faults are laid bare, when sin is revealed in my life. I tend to look at all of these things that are wrong, many of them  ( all of them ) far out of my control  to change, and dispair. I dispair because I can't do it. I despair because I don't want to do it. I despair because I now feel inadequate.

However, this verse reveals the beautiful character of our Father, who does not discipline us to punish me, nor to discourage me. His discipline confirms his love for me. He does it because he looks at me and says, "You are worth it to me." And he has demonstrated that I am worth it by paying the price of Christ's blood for me. The blood of forgiveness and cleansing. He takes delight in making me beautiful. "...he disciplines us for our good, that we might share his holiness." (Hebrews 12:10) That holiness that allow us to see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14), and opens our eyes to the goodness of who he really is. He does not desire to leave me where I am in the mud and the mire but to lift me up to higher places. That is his nature.

Very often the discipline brings us to that broken place before the Lord, where he longs that we be, where we dispair of ourselves and give up our pride and self righteousness, where we take our hands off, come before his throne of grace, and invite him to work.

"Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed."

Let us not become weary but instead come before the throne of the one who is good and loving and desires to break chains, heal, and restore.

No comments:

Post a Comment