Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Romans 3:25-26

Romans 3:25-26 "God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate
his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus."

Before this in the old testament under law, atonement had to be made regularly for the sin of the people, placing the penalty of the sin on an animal and sacrificing it before the Lord to atone for the sin committed. Once a year, on the day of Atonement, the high priest had to cleanse himself, come before the Lord, and present sacrifices to atone for the himself, the people of Israel, and the tabernacle. Leviticus 16:30 says, "...on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the LORD, you will be clean from all your sins."

I don't want to pretend that I understand all of the how and the why of the Old Covenant and it's regulations. But what I do know is that Jesus came as the perfect sacrafice, to atone once and for all time for my sins, since I have placed my faith in his blood. For a time he was forbearnant and patient, but now God in his justice has provided a way for me to be justified, declared righteous before God, by sending Jesus as the perfect ultimate sacrifice. He has taken the penalty of my sin on his shoulders, making it possible for me to be declared righteous before God. I do not have to cleanse myself, as did the high priest before entering the presence of God, but can come "boldly before his presence," as Jesus has already made the sacrafice for my sins which before, separated me from God. This sacrafice of Christ on the cross displays his justice and mercy perfectly. He was merciful, forebearing sins for a time. But in his justice, he sent Christ to atone, "for God so loved the world."

Christ's sacrafice for my atonement leaves me with nothing to bring before God. It is completly through his grace. The segment before these verses describes mankind without God:

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before there eyes."

Without God I am not rightesous, do not understand or seek God, I am worthless, I do not do good, I am sinful, I do not know peace, I do not fear God.

"This righteousness from  God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who beleive. There is no differance, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

This grace upon grace, God's unmerited favor. God declares me righteous in his sight despite my record of sin, God redeemed me from the power of sin, through absolutely no good work of my own, but by his grace.

Yet I am tempted to beleive that I have some good thing in me. Instead of being filled continually with his grace and in turn  pouring out on others, I deceive myself in to thinking that I have something to offer. I let my pride get in the way of being completely broken before me Savior, admitting my nothingness. It is only when I admit that I have nothing to offer and claim his grace afresh, that I will be able to live a life for God and others. Praise God that he does accept us in our broken state, requiring nothing of ourselves, to be filled with his grace. I must press on today, in light of his grace, to pour myself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment