Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Matthew 6:30

Matthew 6:30-32 "If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? so do not worry saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

This section of Scripture opens with Jesus saying, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry..." Why should one not worry? The section before emphasizes the importance of storing treasures in heaven and seeing their eternal value instead of a temporary one. how it is impossible to serve both eternal God and temporary material wealth. so worry is not necessary because as it goeson to say in verse 25, "Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes? Yes all of these things are necessary to life, but they are not the meaning of our existence.

Verse 30 goes on to say that God already knows what I need. It is amazing how, even as a child of the heavenly Father, I worry about difficulties around me, things that have no eternal value. I feed anxious thoughts, not giving attention to God's goodness and his wisdom in knowing already exactly what I need.

Pagans, those who can not call the eternal and all knowing God their heavenly Father, are the ones who strive meaninglessly and anxiousky for these temporary things. but I can call the all powerful and all knowing God my heavenly Father.

Sometimes when I worry about difficulties around me, it is hard for me to give them to God because I know what I want and I don't want what I know I need. But if my eyes are fixed on eternal treasures and the eternal God, I will be able to surrender anxiety about temporary gain and put my trust in the heavenly Father, who already knows and will provide what I need.

I must choose to confess and surrender anxiety to the One who already knows what I need. I must fix my gaze on the eternal, knowing that God who is good, knows what is best for me as he sees the big picture and "works all things got the good of those who are called according to his purpose." I must trust in his goodness by thanking him for it even when I do not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment